Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Too Busy To Keep Up

I missed posting last night. We were on the go from 8am to Midnight last night. As I write this post I see that my posting from the day before did not make it on to the blog. No time to try to figure out why. We spent our entire day outside yesterday...starting at Mount Vernon in the morning. Visiting the estate our of first president is always a highlight to me. So much to see and unfortunately so little time. "Da boys" indicated that the time they spent at the Pioneer Farm made them feel at home. I don't know about the kids, but being inside the mansion is a bit awe inspiring.

From Mount Vernon to Old Town Alexandria for lunch. I have to apologize right now. I think most of the kids have discovered the beauty of fresh seafood, It took very little encouraging the second time around at at seafood restaurant to get them to be a little adventurous with their meal selections. They might not be satisfied with chicken fingers and fries anymore!

We took a quick tour of Christ Church, George Washington's church. The church survives in almost original condition. Simple yet beautiful.

It was a sobering experience in the afternoon. We spent three hours at Arlington Cemetery taking reverence in the sacrifices made by the men and women that are buried on that holy ground.

Honoring the Marines was our next Stop, The Sunset Parade at the US Marine Corp Memorial can bring out the patriotism in anyone! Handsome young men in uniform seemed to be appealing to the girls!

A highlight of the day was taking a private tour of the US Capitol Building with Congressman Adrian Smith. We entered the Capitol around 9:15 and didn't leave until after 11pm. We were able to spend a significant amount of time in the House Chamber visiting with the Congressman. I was amazed at the questions your young people posed to the Congressman. This is a group of smart, socially aware young adults, that I am going to feel comfortable with leading our nation when our generation moves on! This was a great honor for all of us. We got to go to and see things the public does not have access to.

I am going to let the kids post later about Monday's events, this is the day we spent on the National Mall. I think it is better they tell you about their days than me trying to re-create that mysteriously missing post.

I do want to announce that after a very difficult decision making process we did select as our National spokesperson--our YLC Representative, Ivy Prater from Elgin! Congratulations Ivy!

More later about today!



Kristen Gottschalk
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Washington DC

No comments:

Post a Comment